Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tattoo

I don't have a tattoo. I'm pretty sure I'll never get one.

My best chance was probably during my junior year of college. A few of my friends went out and got tattoos. I'm not sure if I was invited or not, but I'm sure I could have gone if I'd wanted to. Someone once asked me why I wouldn't get a tattoo. Naturally they assumed that I was afraid of the pain. I told him it wasn't the pain, it was the commitment.

Think about it, a tattoo is for life. Yeah, there are expensive and painful ways to get rid of tattoos. But come on, you just had someone jam a needle full of ink into your skin, do you really want to get rid of that?

So you've got this permanent colorful scar on your body. What happens when you're a grandfather or grandmother. How do you explain to your grandkids why you have a snake wrapped around a sword on your forearm?

It's definitely an issue of commitment. If I were to decide to make that commitment, I'm not even sure what image I would want to commit to. There are so many options. And there are a lot of very creative options. I'm not knocking tattoos or tattoo artists. I've seen a lot of tattoos that are truly works of art.

But for me, I'm gonna keep saying no to the tattoo.

And I'm putting one more plea on here for the benefit of readers coming from Sunday Scribblings. In my post from this past Thursday I asked for questions from readers in the comments. It can be anything at all. I'll start answering them next Thursday. Go. Ask. Have fun!

1 comment: