Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXIII

This legend isn't so much about me, but about a bank teller I knew long ago.

When I was 16 I got my first job. Along with that job came a paycheck. And with that paycheck came the need for a checking account. It's not that I had any bills to pay, but it was good to have a place to deposit my check every other week when the manager started handing out money.

At the time, Dad was still working for Norfolk Southern, which had, at one time, been known as Norfolk & Western. Due to this happy fact, our family kept money at the N&W Federal Credit Union. These days that particular credit union is known as Member One, but for the purposes of this story, we'll just stick with N&W.

I regularly stopped in at the branch nearest my house and got to know one teller in particular. I wouldn't necessarily say that I had a crush on her, though maybe I did. After all, I was in high school and those crazy hormones were just going... well... crazy...

I'm sorry to say I don't remember her name, but during those couple of years before I left for college, she seemingly got to know me pretty well. I only say that because I remember a specific incident involving my Dad. Normally he did his business at the branch downtown, nearest to where he worked. But on that day he happened to be near the Oak Grove branch and he stopped in. He happened to be in line next when the teller I knew called him over. When she saw his last name she struck up a conversation with him about me, saying something crazy like I was so sweet. Obviously she didn't know me that well.

So to the unnamed teller from the old N&W Credit Union, I thank you. You definitely made my first banking experiences good ones. I should probably act more like you did now that I'm on the other side of the counter.

1 comment:

  1. LOL... This was so sweet and funny at the same time. I have been there and thought those thoughts. Of course, in different circumstances... and no, I'm not a bank teller... :)

    ReplyDelete