Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode LXII

Any of you who happens to check up on this blog regularly, or those who know me personally, probably know that I am a man of limited patience. Add to that the fact that I own the drive through lane. Therefore, it should go without saying that I'm a huge fan of the quick transactions.

I love to see someone drive up to my window, deposit in hand. It's a beautiful thing to see everything written in its proper place. I love those customers.

But, if you've checked up on this blog regularly, you know that this is not going to be a post that's free of complaints. Sarcasm just doesn't go very far if there isn't a little cynicism behind it.

My complaint today has to do with a co-worker. She seems to insist on bringing me requests to print off certified checks on a regular basis. Now, I'm not a fan of these checks. Nor am I a fan of money orders and cash advances. The reason being, they take up a lot of time. Again, I like the quick transactions.

Today, said co-worker brought over not one, but three certified checks. At the time, there were only two tellers working, as one had gone home early. I was on the drive through window, the other teller was working the lobby. We had a nice system going. This lobby teller was wrapping up the work she was doing with her current customer, as was I. But since I'm fairly quick at what I do, I finished just before she did. So I drew the short straw.

Roughly 10 seconds after I received the three checks to do, someone pulled up to my window. Followed closely by two other cars. As much as I hate doing these checks, I hate even more making a customer wait.

I got short with the co-worker that brought the checks. I don't know if I meant to or not. Looking back I probably did. But I wish I hadn't. There's a big part of me, though, that is certain she gets some level of amusement from pissing me off. In fact, I'm pretty sure she does it on purpose just to see what kind of reaction she'll get.

I should probably explain to her that the way I feel about doing certified checks for her, is about the way she feels about having to cover the teller line when we're busy or one of us is out. She works customer service. She's very comfortable at her desk. She gets pretty huffy whenever a line forms in the lobby and someone asks her to help us out. Generally, she won't do so voluntarily. She'll usually wait until our manager comes over to help out. Then she'll realize she should be helping. But she's only doing so at that point in order to kiss his butt.

Throughout high school and college, I had a few jobs where I was met with a co-worker who just didn't like me. I had no idea what I had done to make them dislike me and had no clue how to make amends. It boggled my mind, 'cause I used to be a pretty nice guy. Now, it would seem, I am that other person. I actively dislike a co-worker for petty reasons. The reasons are real, but in the scheme of things, they're so small. I guess those people I knew back in the day had their reasons too.

No comments:

Post a Comment