Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cheese

A few months ago I noticed something that I don't think I'd ever seen before. I was in the local Sheetz and saw in the refrigerated case small blocks of cheddar. But it wasn't like what you'd find with the various cheeses at the grocery store. These small blocks were shaped and sized much like a candy bar.

At first this struck me as odd. Who eats cheese like a candy bar? This odd thought entered my mind every time I noticed these cheese bars in convenient stores. And then one day I decided to get one. I mean, it's only a buck, so why not. And I like cheddar. I just don't usually eat it without it being on a hamburger or possibly some crackers.

You know, it was actually pretty good. Not something I want to buy and eat every day, but snacking cheese isn't so bad. It even jogged my memory a little. I remember, as a kid, going to the fridge and getting a bag of shredded sharp cheddar and just eating handfuls of it. Some kids dig into the bag of chips, I went for the bag of cheddar.

And yet, even though I've tried it and have been reminded of those bygone days when I would snack on cheese, I still think cheese in the shape of a candy bar is a little weird.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried the small candy-sized pieces of cheese yet. And since I get plenty without it, I guess I better not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does seem a little strange - there's a cheese factory near here and we used to buy a bag of curds - they are wonderful for snacking!

    ReplyDelete