Sunday, September 06, 2009

Key

Somehow I feel like this is going to turn into an Andy Rooney commentary, but here goes.

I have two sets of keys in my life. One set is strictly for work. They're the keys that get me through various locked doors and drawers at the bank where I work.

The other set of keys are for the rest of my life. I have a Superman key ring that was given to me by my father several years ago. It's actually a "Go Forward" key ring which was designed to support the Christopher Reeve Foundation shortly after Reeve's death.

On that key ring are seven keys. The ones in the middle I don't use that often. In fact there are three that I'm really unsure of their use altogether. One of those three may be a key to my old roommate's old apartment that he had given me once when I was crashing at his place. He's since moved from there, but I've still got a key. I should probably get rid of that one. Another of the three is a mistaken mailbox key that was given to me when I first moved into my current apartment. It's been replaced by a working mailbox key, but I just never took the old one off the ring.

Another of the middle keys is the key to my mother's house. When I go to Roanoke, she still gives me a place to stay. Having a key to the front door allows me to come and go as I please. That's a nice feeling to have when one is an adult, no longer living under penalty of a curfew.

My fifth middle key is the working mailbox key. I use that to... wait for it... check my mail.

Acting as bookends to my key ring are the two keys I use the most. One is my apartment key. That one should be pretty self-explanatory. The other is my car key. Also, pretty self-explanatory.

And now that I've taken the time to inventory my keys, it seems pretty obvious that I can eliminate 42.9% of those keys. That's three to the layperson.

Well that's what I came up with Sunday Scribblings. What else ya got?

No comments:

Post a Comment