Tuesday, May 27, 2008

American Idol: Aftermath

It’s Tuesday night, so I feel obligated to do one final post on American Idol.

Another season has come and gone. They have crowned their seventh winner and the American voting public must sit and wait for their next opportunity to vote. I know most of you think I’m talking about the presidential election in November, but do you really think 95 million people will show up to the polls on Election Day? Kind optimistic, don’t you think?

No, I’m talking about season eight, which I’m sure is well past the planning stages. The powers that be probably have their audition cities mapped out and scheduled for sometime in August and/or September. My question is, how much longer will America continue to support the most successful talent show in the history of television?

I’m not one to read articles in depth about what kind of ratings these shows get. Even if I did, all those numbers really mean nothing to me anyway. But some of the headlines I noticed online during the competition said that ratings were dropping a bit for the first time ever. But then, at the finale, Seacrest announced that they received a record number of votes. I realize that could just mean the same people are voting several times. But still, those kinds of numbers are hard to argue with.

So seven years have passed, with several more to come. How much untapped talent do you think is left hiding in plain sight? How many more tone-deaf people can we put up with every January? Because for every Carrie Underwood, there are thousands of William Hungs.

Nevertheless, we are now seven months away from more American Idol. Take heart America, it’ll be here before you know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment