Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stuff

I've got a lot of stuff. Maybe not compared to some people, but to me, it's a lot. It's the kind of stuff you'd find in someone's attic or basement. The kind of stuff that people hold on to for years, then pass on for generations to come. Some of it is stuff that I have from back when I cleaned out Dad's basement after he passed away.

It's stuff that I don't want to keep. It's stuff that I'd really like to get rid of. But I'd like to get rid of it by selling it on Ebay. It'd be nice to make a buck off those old He-Man action figures I've got sitting in a Rubbermaid container. And what about all those old baseball cards I've got? When I was a kid I collected full sets of baseball cards for about 7 or 8 years in a row. They've gotta be worth something these days, right?

I make a big deal about how I don't like to hold on to things. I'm not sentimental about stuff like Mom or Dad were. I just don't see the point in keeping something that my great-grandfather owned a hundred years ago. It's just something that's sat in the basement that I forgot I had for the last 20 years. And if the point of having it is just to pass it on to my son or daughter some day, that's really no point. If I'm already detached from this prized possession, how much more detached will they be?

My point is, if I didn't know it was there, will I miss it when I get rid of it? Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, I've got this stuff that I want to get rid of. I haven't had time to put the stuff on Ebay since I've been in school. But now that the summer is arriving soon, my plan is to get rid of it. Guess I'll be making my way back over to the Qwik Pack & Ship to send stuff when I sell it.

I did sell an old reel-to-reel tape recorder of Dad's last year. I thought I'd be lucky to get 15 bucks for it. Wound up selling for over $150. Blew my mind.

I feel like I kind of just rambled in this post. Did it seem that way to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment