Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode XXV

I will never call in sick on a Monday again. Never. I don't care if I'm hacking up a lung, sneezing uncontrollably, or an alien bursts out of my chest. I'm not going to be able to handle the guilt of leaving my coworkers with that kind of day again.

Yesterday, our vault teller was on vacation, leaving only two of us on the teller line. Sure, one of the FSRs came over to open a drawer and helped out with lunches for awhile, but it wasn't a regular thing. And we were busy. Not just a little busy. We were real busy.

Remember how I've said I work the drive-thru lane? There were cars in both lanes pretty much non-stop from 9am 'til about 3pm when things finally slowed down. And the lobby wasn't much better. People all the time coming in, getting in line.

After lunch I was getting pretty frustrated. My back was hurting from not having three seconds to sit down. I was getting fed up with the unending barrage of customers while I was trying to make sure my drawer was balanced. And I had to input the ATM deposits too (half of which didn't have deposit tickets, one more thing for me to do). Then came a girl with a business deposit.

I won't mention the business name, but it's a local place that we see at the bank on a daily basis. And it's usually the same story. She comes to the drive-thru with a stack of checks and a wad of bills rubber banded together in an incoherent mass. Generally, I'm left to figure out where the deposit slip is, and if there are multiple deposits. I was able to find two.

So I ran the two deposits, wished her a good afternoon, and went on to help lane 2. Then came the buzz from lane 1. "There are supposed to be three deposits, but you only gave me two receipts."

The frustrations of my day melted down at that point. I pulled all the paperwork that she had given me back out of my bin, then searched through it to find the elusive third deposit ticket. I found it, did the transaction, then got back on the mic. I asked her to, in the future, if it's not too much trouble, please separate the deposits. But apparently my tone was pretty harsh. This business does this all the time. Their deposits are all mixed in and it's hard to tell what's what. I'm tired of being the one that looks like an idiot just because they're unorganized.

I felt a little guilty later on. Not for what I said. But for the way I said it. It doesn't matter how lousy my day was, I didn't need to talk to her the way I did. But no one called yesterday to complain. And maybe from now on they'll make things a little easier on everyone by organizing themselves a little better.

2 comments:

  1. OH!! I'm loving the new look and I LOVE the new pictures! It looks awesome.

    BTW, thanks for making me first on the blogs to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember Aaron, the customer is alright Right!!!!!

    ReplyDelete