Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Single Guy and the Seafood Platter

As promised, the tale of my "blind date." Her name shall remain anonymous. I feel that new friends should maintain some sense of anonymity in the blog. I'd hate to accidentally offend or embarass someone I just met. Okay, I actually don't mind offending or embarassing people I just met, but she's a nice girl and deserves better than offense or embarassment.

Anyway... Some time ago, the trip to Roanoke was planned. It was to coincide with a trip that the Greenes were taking. I figured, if I can't go to DisneyWorld with them, I might as well stow away on a short trip to the home town. Gayle, knowing I would be in town this weekend, decided to play matchmaker. Thus, the set-up was born.

It wasn't so much a date as a group get together involving the Greenes, the Hamiltons, myself, and a girl that Gayle knows. Apparently, it was decided that everyone should attend because I am obviously socially inept. We were meeting at the Country Cookin' in Daleville. Strike one.

The choice of restaurant is no reflection on the date. As far as I know, that's a Hamilton/Greene thing. So glad to have been inducted into that little tradition. Really, the restaurant wasn't that bad. I haven't been there since I was about ten. I probably had something bad there once that made me sick and just had a bad association. The seafood platter actually turned out to be quite delicious.

I arrived at the restaurant at 5:15, as mentioned in my earlier posting. But no one else was there. At first I thought it was all a funny prank. Very droll. I called Nicole's cell, no answer. I called Gayle... "Kevin said they'd call when they get in town, probably closer to 6." Sure would've been nice to get that little memo before I bypassed my mother's house and drove into Botetourt County.

So I made my way back to Mom's to drop off my stuff. Eventually I got the call to meet at the restaurant. Probably around 6:30 or so. I really am not sure. By this point I was so hungry I had lost all sense of time.

I arrived at the Country Cookin'. They arrived at the Country Cookin'. And a good time was had by all. I met the girl. Great sense of humor, which is always a plus in my world. And she's much nicer than I am. To be honest, she deserves better. I'm kind of a jerk.

You know, the Greenes wanted to come along to make sure I would talk. And I'm grateful that they thought enough of me to make that effort. But I think it might have been a mistake. I think they became a crutch.

See, I don't do so good talking to new people. It's not so much a shyness factor, but more of an "I don't want to offend or embarass them with my biting sarcasm." And since my surrogate family was there, I was able to talk to them, as opposed to being forced to talk with someone new.

That's not to say conversations weren't had. It just felt less like a first date and more like a cocktail party. Oddly enough, I ordered the shrimp without the cocktail sauce. Get it? Cocktail party/cocktail sauce?

Honestly, I didn't go into last night with any expectations. I wasn't looking for a love connection. Again, that is no reflection on my would-be date. I have my own hang ups. Issues, if you will.

For the most part, my friends have maintained a "no set-up" policy where I am concerned. For that, I have been most grateful. But occasionally, there are folks in my life who think that just because I don't date, it must mean that I can't date. Not that I'm not allowed to date, but that I'm unable to get a date. I don't know for sure that that's the case. I just haven't tried for awhile. Mostly because I don't want to right now. Is that so wrong?

Again, I was happy to meet Gayle's young friend. But for now, the best I can offer her is a friendship on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. BTW..... Country Cooking is in my top 5 favorite places to eat....it has so many of my favorites on the bar and you get the bar free with your entree! I mean seriously I wish they were everywhere!

    ReplyDelete