Saturday, August 02, 2008

Watching

You know, I was just fine being a couch potato before I met the Greenes. I had shows that I watched and couldn't miss. But for the most part, they were scripted shows. Something with an actual plot. Something with a story. Something you could follow from week to week and continually become frustrated by the cliffhangers you were left with after an hour of viewing.

With the exception of American Idol I've tried to stay away from the "reality show." Then I came down here and started hanging out with the Greenes. And then they got me into watching Big Brother.

I watched the very first season of this show and thought it was okay. Actually, I thought it was a little boring. It was as if someone at CBS just ran out of ideas for new shows. So all they did was show what was going on in the Big Brother House five days a week. Back then, that's how it worked. I didn't watch it after that.

Turns out they changed the formula after the first season. They took the vote away from America and put it in the hands of the poor saps being videoed 24/7. This made the game a little more cut throat. I'm sure it made for a better viewing experience. Also, after that first season, CBS' schedule wasn't so saturated with Big Brother every night. Just a few nights a week with a live eviction show included.

Well, the Greenes got me involved in the 9th season. It was the first time CBS had done a winter season of Big Brother and it began with couples. I'll admit, I got a little addicted. I watched it from beginning to end. Even on the nights when I wasn't hanging out at the Greenehouse. I even set up the DVR to record the new episodes, just so I wouldn't miss anything if I didn't happen to be in front of a TV.

And now, here we are, three weeks into season 10. From what I understand, every season, from about the third on, has had some kind of gimmick. One year they had twins that would trade places in the house at random times. This year, no gimmicks. For the first time in a long time, they pulled in 13 strangers who had no previous connections at all.

This is voyeurism at its finest. I can't put my finger on what it is that's so intriguing about these people. As someone who spent a great deal of time in sociology classes in college, you'd think I'd have been watching this show all along. It's a great way to see how completely different people react when faced with each other.

Plus, I never knew how interesting it was to watch someone brush their teeth. Or do dishes. Or run laps in the prison like backyard.

3 comments:

  1. dear aaron,
    these people are not nearly as interesting as you think they are. it's all in how you edit. trust me on this one.

    i promise you, if i could record you for 24 hours straight and then edit the footage in whatever way i wanted, i could make a story out of it.

    please don't keep watching reality tv. the more you watch it, the more people like me will be out of a job.

    j

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you understand. I can't stop watching now that I've started. It's an addiction. A starvation that cries out to be fed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE BIG BROTHER!!!! All the teachers at my school talk after each episode!!!

    ReplyDelete