Friday, August 29, 2008

Question of the Week: Different Lives

Would you rather be extremely successful professionally and have a tolerable yet unexciting private life, or have an extremely happy private life and only a tolerable and uninspiring professional life?

I'm sorry, but why can't I have both? I want to be extremely successful in my chosen profession and I want to be extremely happy privately. I don't understand why both areas of my life can't be extreme in some way.

Okay, if I have to choose, I'd rather be happy in my private life than be successful professionally. At this point I still don't know for sure what my profession will ultimately be. And anyone who knows me knows that I just don't care about stuff like that. It's not that I'm a slacker, I just don't worry about stuff. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have some sort of career success. But my private life, with my family and friends, that's the stuff that counts and tends to have longevity.

Besides, how many stories have you heard of extremely successful people who have everything they ever wanted but feel empty inside. That's just sad.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment