Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Legends of the Bank Teller: Locked Out

Recently I've been dealing with a lot of technological issues. Most of these issues have taken place in my new home.

When I first moved in, I could not connect to the wireless network. Eventually, that problem was solved. In my second week in my new place, I went with my roommate to the cable company to pick up a DVR box for my bedroom, that way I wouldn't have to depend on a community cable box for the things I wanted to watch. It didn't work.

This problem lasted a bit longer than the internet issues. I switched out the DVR for a different box. Still I had problems. But the problems with one box were different than the problems with the second. With the first, I had no picture and the box wasn't receiving a signal. With the second, the picture would freeze up. And then it wouldn't respond to the remote. And then I couldn't find my DVR list or the channel guide.

Today I got a text from my roommate saying that the technician from the cable company came out and fixed everything. No more cable problems. No more internet problems. And there was much rejoicing in the land.

I was at work when I received that text. And my joy lasted only a little while. Not long after finding out this great news, I got locked out of the bank's computer system.

When I tried to log back into a computer, I was told that my account was locked out. It's like they decided to kick me off the system.

I thought I was in a good place, you know? I thought that I had received a promotion and was starting this new thing. Turns out I was fired a long time ago and by some glitch in the system, I just kept getting a pay check. Well, today, they fixed the glitch.

Just kidding. I was never fired. Apparently there was some mix up with my transfer and the computer didn't know what to do with me anymore. So it locked me out.

This is what happens when we start trusting the machines. They get confused. When they get confused, they turn against us. It isn't good.

1 comment: