Friday, July 01, 2011

Question of the Week: What's In Your Wallet?

Walking along an empty street, you notice a wallet. It contains $5,000 in cash but no name or address. What would you do? Would it alter your decision if inside you found the name, address, and picture of either a wealthy-looking young man or a frail-looking old woman?

I know the right thing to do. The right thing would be to take the wallet to the police and turn it in. Even though there's no information inside it, there's a chance that whoever lost it could still come and claim it, right? It would be extremely tempting to just walk away with it. I mean, $5,000 is a lot of money. But since my conscience wouldn't really let me do anything other than hand it over to the authorities, my answer stays the same no matter whose picture is inside it. But, for that matter, if there's a picture of a wealthy young man or a frail old lady, why would that indicate that the wallet belonged to that person? Maybe it's just me, but if I were to keep pictures in my wallet, they wouldn't be pictures of myself. They'd be pictures of people I care about. The only time there'd be a picture of me is if I was in it with someone else. So if there's a picture of an old woman, the wallet is more likely to belong to the wealthy young guy. I mean, do you keep pictures of yourself in your wallet?

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I would have to turn the wallet over to the police no matter whose pictures were inside. With my luck, it would be stolen money and I would be arrested and tossed in the pokey. I don't keep any pictures in my wallet, well with the exception of my driver's license photo. I have a Brag Book for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As tempting as it may be, I would turn the wallet in.

    I know if it were my wallet that was lost I would hope whoever found it would return it with the cash still inside.

    ReplyDelete