Thursday, July 21, 2011

Legends of the Bank Teller: The New Guy


I'm still the new guy. And so many of the customers have no problem letting me know it. I've been here for a month now and I still get it all the time. "Well, we have a new face!"

I smile. I nod. I introduce myself and wait for them to completely forget my name before I finish their transaction. That's just how it works. Of course, in the long run, they'll remember me long before I remember them. Let's face it, they only have to memorize my face along with my five co-workers that they already know. I have to memorize hundreds of faces that come through here on a weekly basis. Maybe thousands. I'm not sure about those numbers, I'll get back to you.

But those five new co-workers have been great thus far. I'm in a new position in a new place working on a new computer system and they've all been very helpful and understanding when I've had questions. I managed to make it through the very first part of my training, which re-introduced me to the world of banking. Yeah, I was learning a new system, but mostly it was retraining. I learned how to count money all over again.

Since then I've been back in my new branch. I've been assigned my own teller drawer and I've been running deposits and withdrawals like a champ. It's not exactly the same pace as my old drive-thru, but its workable. In fact, I still can't decide which is busier: the drive-thru or my station at the in-store branch. We are pretty heavily populated. I'm not sure how it works for other branches found inside stores.

I found out yesterday that the next level of training won't actually begin until October. Originally I was scheduled to start in August and go through the middle of September. This means that the basic information of opening accounts and helping people with loan applications is still lost on me. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I suppose it pushes off the pressure to get new accounts a while longer (I think). On the other hand, I'm kind of stuck being a teller... which I'm used to. Part of the challenge of moving up here was the challenge of a new job. That challenge isn't so much happening yet.

However, like I said, the co-workers have been great. They've helped me to do some little things like open check cards for people. I took a credit card application last week. Kind of felt like a big step. But it still looks like it will be a while before I can actually open accounts for people.

I kind of feel like I'm procrastinating. But it's not my fault. I can't control the class schedule. But procrastinating does sound like something I would do.

1 comment:

  1. I still have clients saying this to me and I have been at the branch for three years this December. I feel so loved… LOL!

    The traffic in the “In Stores” is so different than a traditional branch! We have the whole Kroger store as our lobby… you will never be the same… HAHA!

    I am very happy to have you on our team!!

    ReplyDelete