Thursday, July 07, 2011

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

You ever make those spur of the moment decisions to do something? It used to happen all the time back in college. Middle of the night, the roommates all get hungry, so we'd drive down to the Omelet Shoppe to eat some of the greasiest food known to man. Late one day you decide it would be a good idea to drive up to Pittsburgh for no other reason than because it's there.

Okay, the Pittsburgh thing never happened. We got as far as Princeton, WV and decided we were too tired to make a five hour drive in the middle of the night. BTW, Princeton is about fifteen minutes away from Bluefield, where we went to college.

This spur of the moment thing has never been something I've been very good at. I like a plan. I like to know what's going to happen. 'Cause I'm the kind of guy that likes to be somewhere on time. I don't think I necessarily qualify for any sorts of disorders involving obsession or compulsion, but those tendencies are there.

But every now and then, a spur of the moment decision to do something can be a lot of fun. And it's really the kind of thing I need in my life right now. So I'm kind of hoping this kind of thing happens more often.

It happened last Wednesday night. Brandon had come by my new apartment to help me figure out exactly what was wrong with my internet. After that I rode with him to grab something to eat from Bellacino's, followed by a milkshake from Maggie Moo's. That excursion was slightly unplanned. I mean, I was planning to eat that evening, I just hadn't planned what I was going to eat.

Riding to the Maggie Moo, we passed by a theater and were reminded that that was the day the new Transformers movie was released. We both expressed some mild interest in seeing it, but let it pass.

On the way back from the milkshake stop, he was asking if we were doing anything else or if he was just dropping me back at my new home. I looked at him and simply said, "Transformers?"

That was pretty much all it took. And it was like we were back in college. Not caring about whatever we had to do the next day. So we were seeing a movie that was starting around 9pm. Big deal, right?

So yeah, Transformers: Dark of the Moon was pretty decent. Walking away from it, I thought it was pretty awesome. I'm the guy who absolutely loved the first one but detested Revenge of the Fallen. But I'd heard good things about the third part of this trilogy before going in. What I'd really heard was that the last battle scene in the movie was epic.

That rumor turned out to be pretty true.

And that last battle took up about the last hour of the movie. And epic pretty much covers it. Like a lot of the movies I enjoy seeing, this isn't gonna win any awards for Best Picture or Best Actor or Best Screenplay. When you break it down to those categories, it's not that great. But you know, it's a lot of fun to watch. It was exciting.

I'm debating whether or not it's the best of the franchise. Definitely better than the second film, the first one is debatable. And I'll say this, even the 3D aspect of it was fairly well done. Not really necessary, but I didn't think it was over the top like a lot of the 3D movies are.

Anyway, for me, it was worth seeing. And definitely a needed last minute escape. I kind of hope that more of these spur of the moment situations arise in the near future. Not necessarily movies, but pretty much anything with a friend or two to take my mind off life for a while.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you...I loved the first one but absolutely HATED the second one. I wasn't planning on seeing the third because the second was so bad but now I'll reconsider.

    ReplyDelete