Monday, March 10, 2008

Legends of the Bank Teller - Episode VIII

Working at the bank, I've seen all kinds of people come and go. I'd like to take some time to talk about two types of customer that are pretty typical.

The first is the kind that I see most often: the ones who think I'm telepathic. These are the people who come to the drive up window and send a bunch of random checks and/or blank slips in the box. Also, there are those who send in an empty box with no indication that they needed anything at all. There is a call button on the outside for a reason. Ladies and gentlemen in the banking world, feel free to use that button. We, on the other side of the glass, are here to help you. Just don't abuse the button. And remember, we can't hear what you're saying if you've pushed the box or tube into the chute. It's really loud and overpowers your voice in the speakers. Seriously, it's like standing in a wind tunnel.

On the other end of the customer spectrum are the clients who send detailed, written instructions along with the proper documents. Honestly, I prefer these over the ones who assume I have ESP. But really, your instructions may not be necessary. While I don't have all the answers as a part-time teller, I'm not a complete idiot. If you've sent in your deposit or withdraw slip already filled out, you're way ahead of the game.

There are, of course, other types of customers. As many as there are personality types. Everyone is different. There are the ones who stay on the phone the entire time they're at the window. There are the ones who constantly send back the box because it's impossible to believe that we got it right the first time. There are the ones who refuse to show you their ID because they've been banking here for 30 years (but you know what? I've only been working here for 2 months... wrap your ancient brain around that!). I'm sorry, that probably sounded rude. But it's been a really long day at the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment