Sunday, March 23, 2008

Scenes From a Mall

I don't often go to the mall. In fact, since moving to Wake Forest, I've been inside the nearest mall a grand total of four times. All since the holidays. Friday was the first time I made the trip alone. First off, let me just say, the solo mall run is boring at best.

Why would I find a trip to the mall boring? Because of the way my mind works. See, I like to watch people. And I like to make sarcastic comments about a great number of the people I see. If I'm alone, there's no one to hear those comments. There's no one to make those comments to. Granted, I could walk around, observe something funny, and say something about it... but then I'd be talking to myself in public. Apparently this doesn't go over too well in polite society.

I actually didn't see anything too abnormal on Friday evening. It wasn't very busy. I guess people had better things to do than hang out at the mall. However, at one point, I was in Macy's and noticed a couple weaving their way through the racks of clothes. That wouldn't have been so odd, but they were holding hands. I know, that's totally normal for couples to do. But they were grasping each others hands so tightly, it looked like if one of them let go, they would both slip off into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again. There goes their one shot at true love.

I don't even know why I went to the mall that night. I know I had a reason as I pulled into the parking lot. But by the time I got to the doors, I couldn't remember that reason. Pretty bad, right? But while I was inside, I remembered why I rarely shop at the mall. Stuff there is expensive. I did get a new Superman shirt though. All in all, not a bad trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment