Saturday, March 08, 2008

Question of the Week: I Can't Move

I apologize to those of you who were expecting the question yesterday. I'm a day late. I completely forgot that Friday was question day. So here it is today.

Assuming that complete recovery were instantaneous, would you be willing to accept a year of complete paralysis below the neck to prevent the otherwise certain extinction of the blue whale?

Uh, not to sound insensitive, but screw the blue whales. It'd be one thing if I were forced into a life of paralysis against my will. I'd adjust and push on. But to voluntarily do that to oneself is stupid. I consider myself lucky to have as many friends as I do, but really, which of you would be willing to give me that daily sponge bath or change my colostomy bag? Yeah, I didn't think so.

On the other hand, if the question had specified the humpback whale, I might have said yes. I saw Star Trek, I know what will happen in 400 years if the humpback whale goes extinct. I vote no to the destruction of Earth.

*Question of the Week comes from The Book of Questions by Gregory Stock, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment