Friday, March 07, 2008

Omelet Shoppe Confessions: Gertie

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to meet Gertie. Obviously, I can't personally introduce you to her. But if you happen to be in the Princeton area some night between the hours of 11pm and 7am, you should stop by the Omelet Stop (Shoppe) and sit in Gertie's section.

Gertie's a sweet old German gal that could probably play linebacker in the NFL. She might have saved my life once, but that's another story for another time. Tonight I just want to paint a picture of how special this lady was to the students of Bluefield College.

Previously I said that it wasn't a good trip to the Omelet Shoppe unless you came away with a story. It was equally disappointing if we showed up on a night when Gertie had the night off. For four years, Gertie became a part of our lives a little more with every visit. She grew to mean so much to us that a group of us even named our flag football team for her. The Gerties had a pretty good run during the intramural season.

Back in 2003, when most of us were graduating, we invited her to commencement. Unfortunately she had to work the night before, making a day at Bluefield College next to impossible. But I hope that we were able to make some kind of impression on her, because she sure left an impression on us.

1 comment:

  1. Is it weird that this post made me a little misty-eyed? I miss Gertie. Is she still around? She almost saved my life once too :)

    ReplyDelete