Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Greene Day Two

Next in line for the throne is Brett. When I was his age, I would have been intimidated to hang out with a kid like him. Not because of anything that he's done or said. But because I had very little self-confidence and the cool kids, frankly, scared me. Brett's pretty much a cool kid.

A few weeks ago I was invited to go along with the family to Brett's class play. It was a re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood with a "get along with your environment" message and set to the music of the 1950s. The girls had the poodle skirts, the boys had the t-shirt and jeans with the hair slicked back. Brett kind of looked like an 8-year-old James Dean. I told you, cool.

Turns out, his girlfriend is the one that played Little Red Riding Hood. Dude, extra cool points for dating the star of the play. Dating... psh... they're eight...

I'm told that he had a few girlfriends by the time he was in preschool. Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Late Day Edit: I failed to mention earlier that Brett gave me a family portrait that he drew himself. He gave it to me so I wouldn't get lonely at my house. I put it on my refrigerator. Some six months later, it's still the only piece of art hanging in my kitchen. You too could have your art hanging on my fridge. All it takes is for you to hand it to me, and a willingness to have your work seen by the four people who visit my kitchen annually.

1 comment: