Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Stadium Drive

Around eleven this morning, I began hearing loud noises outside my house. That's right, I'm finally back in my own place. Last night was my first night back here in over two weeks. In some ways it was strange. In others it was quiet. Again.

Anyway, I was greeted today to the sound of road work right outside my door. There was no warning. Just the sights and sounds of heavy machinery chewing up asphalt about three feet from my car. For a stretch of nearly a mile of one of the busiest streets in town, they've ripped up the road, preparing to repave it.

Why?

That is a question to which I haven't the answer. There was no note left on my front door, or under a windshield wiper. Several months ago, March I think, I got a windshield leaflet saying that there would be some work being done on gas lines. It would be done by the end of April. And it was. So what is this today?

Not only have they torn up the road (and are now taking a break) but there is an abyss in front of my neighbors house. Okay, I exaggerate, it's more of a pit. I don't remember seeing anyone digging it out and I don't know what it's there for. But there were several men standing around looking quite proud of themselves.

It's a good thing I don't need to go anywhere right now. But I'm gonna be in trouble when I get hungry later on. See, I don't have any groceries to speak of. Since I've been at the Greenehouse for the last two weeks, I emptied my kitchen out. And I really don't see the point in buying stuff if I'm only here for another 2 days before I fly out to LA. So, come dinnertime, I'm gonna really be hoping they're finished with the street. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment