Monday, July 07, 2008

Greene Day One

Welcome to Greene Days. Each day this week I'll devote a blog post to one of the Greene kids, concluding with the Greene adults on Saturday. Today I begin with the oldest Greene kid, Bryce.

Being the oldest, I actually knew Bryce as a baby. He was born not long after my family started going to North Roanoke, where, as mentioned before, we initially became friends with the Greenes. Actually, back then, it was my parents that were friends with the Greenes. I was busy graduating from high school and then leaving for college. I'm pretty sure I heard Nicole say that Bryce used to get a kick out of my Dad and his wacky cartoon character ties.

Despite the fact that I knew him 'til he was about two years old, I knew he wouldn't remember me when I moved down to North Carolina. So I was a little nervous. Not just around Bryce, but around all the kids. I've never been one to hang out with kids on a long-term basis. So initially, there was uncomfort. But it didn't take too long for the kids to warm up to me. I think.

Anyway, at this point, Bryce is the only one who can really give me a run for my money when it comes to wit and sarcasm. Well, he tries. And he gets it honestly. It might just run in the family. Which means if it does, I need to watch my back for the other four as they get older.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes,
    greene baby boy numero uno ...

    i remember once when bryce was a lad and baby #2 was still .. well .. a baby .. i was discussing with my mother where i could take bryce on an adventure. he sat beside us playing with his cars .. we really weren't paying that much attention to him. i said "mom, where should i take him?" and before she could respond, bryce stopped playing and looked and said .. and i QUOTE

    "Tarjay would be nice."

    yes, tarjay is the best way i can spell the fancy french way the greenes et al say Target.

    cracked us up.

    j

    ReplyDelete