Tuesday, August 16, 2011

30 Day Blog Challenge: Twenty Second Day

A Letter to Someone Who Has Hurt You Recently

For the record, no one has really hurt me recently. But I don't want to just skip a day. So I'm gonna go with the  closest thing to having my feelings hurt in recent memory. Before I get started, let me state that no permanent damage was done. I won't be spending any time in therapy over any of this. In fact, it really wasn't that big a deal. But in the interest of keeping things interesting, I'm gonna attempt some false melodrama. And to whom it may concern, please don't take this seriously, if in fact you ever actually read this. Now that we've covered the disclaimer, let us begin...

Dear Spider-Girl,

What can I say? I thought we had something. I thought there was a connection. I guess I was wrong.

I'll admit, I got a little overly excited when I asked you out for coffee. Despite knowing that I would be moving away from Raleigh a short time later, you still said you would love to. I'm not the kind of guy who likes to get his hopes up. My philosophy is, if you don't get your hopes up, you can't be disappointed. But I'll admit it, I was kind of smitten. So my hopes rose a bit.

I should have just gotten your phone number, instead I settled for Facebook contact at your request. So that's how I attempted to contact you, hoping to hammer out the details of this elusive coffee date. Unfortunately I got no response to my friend request and got no reply to the messages I had sent. It was okay though. I merely assumed you were the kind of girl who had a life and you just didn't check your Facebook all that often. But again, I confess, I was getting concerned about the lack of available time. After all, I was about to move away. My days in Raleigh were dwindling, as were my chances of actually getting a date with you.

And then I moved. Eventually you did accept my friend request on Facebook, but other than that, I haven't heard from you. But what is there to be done? I live 170 miles away now. Even if you were at one time interested, that would be a moot point by now.

I'm okay with the entire situation. I really am. The only heartache I feel comes from not hearing from you and being unsure of things for my last couple weeks in North Carolina. The only regret I have lies in not asking you out much sooner.

But you don't have to worry about me. I'm doing fine. I'm living my life and I'm having an okay time. I'm staying busy. I'm making new friends. In my heart, I know, I'm moving on. I may not be ready to allow myself to become infatuated with another woman yet, and I may not have found anyone worthy of giving a nickname, but that time will come.

I hope that this finds you happy and doing well. I wish you the best in all you do.

Yours,
The Single Guy

In reality, I hope this doesn't find her. More accurately, I hope she doesn't find this. It would be awkward and could be greatly misinterpreted. Again, my feelings really weren't hurt in all of this. I just didn't have anyone else who remotely hurt me. My feelings rarely get hurt. I have way too many psychological walls up to allow people to hurt my feelings. I should probably work on that...

1 comment:

  1. I happen to know for a fact that Spider-girl is an avid blog reader. I'm sure that she'll eventually stumble upon this, so I'm afraid you'll have to prepare yourself for that awkward encounter.

    ReplyDelete