Thursday, August 04, 2011

Heart Walk

Ladies and gentlemen of the interwebs, I'll soon be returning to Raleigh.

No, I'm not moving back. I'm just going back for a weekend in September to participate in the American Heart Association's Heart Walk.

A few months ago, not long before accepting the position I'm now in, the branch I was working in was invited to take part in this Heart Walk. I was all for it. It would be a good way to do something positive for the community as well as hang out with my co-workers outside of work. Those are two things that I had not done a whole lot of. So I said I was in.

And then I found out I'd gotten this job in Virginia. But I didn't want to back out of the Heart Walk. And my former co-workers still wanted me to participate with them. So I've signed up to be a part of their team. On September 25th I'll be returning to Raleigh to walk with thousands of other people in an effort to support the American Heart Association.

From the donation website:
Imagine the impact if we reduce death and disability from cardiovascular diseases by 20% by 2020! I'm joining the American Heart Association's Heart Walk to promote physical activity to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke. Please support me in helping to reach this lifesaving goal by giving a donation today! Thanks in advance for your support.

And that's kind of the point of this post. I need your help to raise money for this cause. My personal goal is to raise $250 before the Heart Walk on September 25th. If you're willing to give, please click on the link below and donate as little or as much as you want. Every dollar counts!

This is a cause that means something to me. While my Dad had a number of health issues, it was his heart that did him in. Spiritually, Lee Peck had an amazing heart. Physically, his heart was incredibly weak for the last 8 years of his life. After having quadruple bypass surgery in 1998, his heart grew steadily weaker over time. Eventually, his heart just gave out. In 2006 we lost him.

I'm not saying that there was more that could have been done for him. He was always of the opinion that he was here as long as God wanted him here. I am saying, however, that advances can still be made in this field of medicine. And if this is something small that I can do to help in that study, then I want to do it. If something can be done to help someone else's father or mother or child live a little bit longer, I want to help out.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment