Sunday, August 14, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2

I finally got to see it!

I got off early on Thursday afternoon a couple weeks back and discovered an amazing thing about the theater near my apartment. They have matinees for only five bucks between 4:00 and 5:30. Any movie that starts between those times only costs five dollars. Isn't that phenomenal? I couldn't remember the last time I paid less than eight dollars to see a movie in the theater. It's like being transported to a simpler time.

Anyway, the movie. It was even more phenomenal than the low price of admission. What is there to say that hasn't been said? After all, I'm coming into this thing a month after it was released. Still, it's worth saying that I was quite moved.

Despite having read the book on more than one occasion, I found myself getting emotional during some scenes. I knew what was happening. I knew what was coming next. Yet I couldn't help but allow my eyes to tear up when Harry began saying his good-byes to his stalwart friends, Ron and Hermione. I knew the outcome of Harry's confrontation with Voldemort. I knew that everything would be all right in the end. But I still wanted to cry.

I think that says a lot about the acting abilities of these kids. Well, they're not kids anymore, are they? They still seem like kids to me though. No matter their age, however, they are incredible actors. They had me believing that Harry was walking off to face his doom. Okay, so he did die a little. But he got better. That's how it had to happen so that he could finally stop You-Know-Who once and for all.

The movies really can't touch the books when it comes to shear awesomeness. But they come about as close as any film adaptation that's out there. All in all it was a fantastic movie and an epic series. And like so many Potter fans out there, I can't help but ask, "What's next?" Come on, Jo, you know we're waiting on something. Bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment