Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Idol: 12 Gals

Ryan says some of the girls have colds. Tough! Suck it up! This is live television people. Build a bridge and get over it!

Kristy Lee Cook - Rescue Me
She might be my season 7 crush. I don't know, all I've really heard her sing is Amazing Grace, which she did a great job on. Tonight she's tackling some Aretha. There really doesn't leem to be much to it though. Nothing spectacular. It doesn't really seem like she's doing a lot to make herself stand out with this song. Honestly I'm kind of bored listening to her. That's not to say she's doing a bad job or that she's got a bad voice, but I have a feeling she's got more potential than she's showing. I'm disappointed. 6. But hey, the judges reveal that she's one of the sick ones. Maybe America will take that into consideration.

Joanne Borgella - Say a Little Prayer
Her pitch seems off to start with. Maybe I just didn't have my volume up loud enough to really hear her. She's pulled it together as the song's progressed, but again, nothing spectacular. Are they gonna say she's sick too? Another 6.

Alaina Whitaker - More Today Than Yesterday
Tomorrow's her birthday, so I hope she does well so she doesn't get kicked off. I mean, what a crappy birthday if you get booted off American Idol. Her song begins really slow. Then kicks up a notch when she gets to the chorus. I think that's a good way to do it. And she's belting this one out too. Outstanding job with this song. Much better than the first two girls. She gets 9. Oh, and I forgot Chikezie did this song last night, if that tells you anything about how I felt about his performance.

Amanda Overmyer
Here's our rock 'n' roll nurse. I don't recognize the song she's singing. Despite my lack of musical knowledge, I think she's doing okay. But this is not her best performance. She's done better. She's done a lot better in her previous auditions. A lot of it just felt like she was mumbling the lyrics. And I'm not talking about the scat at the beginning. Not bad, not great. 7.

Amy Davis - Where the Boys Are
I could be wrong, but I don't think we've seen her at all until now. I don't remember any of her auditions. Again, this gives the other contestants an unfair advantage. I think she must be sick too. Her pitch is all over the place. It's really annoying actually. When they showed her audition clips, she sounded really good. This is a huge disappointment. 4.

Brooke White - So Happy Together
She reminds me a whole lot of the woman who was the RHD in the girls' dorm back at Bluefield. My friends could all be reading that and think I'm full of crap, but that's who she reminds me of. Her song is a rerun from last night. And her cover of it is much better than David Cook's. She's hitting her notes, she's got the rhythm down. Solid 8.

Alexandrea Lushington - Spinning Wheel
This was pretty much Bo Bice's signature song back in season 4. She's putting a different spin on it obviously. Get it? Spin... Spinning Wheel... Let that sink in first. She's doing a decent job with the song but I'm not sure that I like her voice. Maybe that's just a personal issue with me. I'm gonna go with a 7.

Kady Malloy - Groovy Kind of Love
She's the one that does a spot on Britney Spears impression. Her actual voice though, is spectacular. She could be giving Alaina a run for her money tonight. Well, there are a few pitch problems throughout the song. But her voice is incredibly strong. Maybe she's sick too. Seriously, there are several mistakes that she just shouldn't be making. I take back the thing about giving Alaina a run for her money. She's good, but tonight wasn't so much. 6.

Asia'h Epperson - Another Little Piece of My Heart
She's a really sweet girl who I would like to see go far in this game. Maybe that's 'cause I identify with her grief in losing her dad. She has a very unique voice. And I mean that in a good way. She did a great job with a song that was done and overdone during Hollywood week. Not the best of the night, but she gets an 8.

Ramiele Malubay - You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
I remember her initial audition and she has got an amazingly powerful voice. She starts out pretty low key. I don't mean that in a pitch kind of way. Well, the pitch seemed a little off at the start, but I mean the energy was kind of dull. And with the power that this girl actually has, I'm hoping she'll belt it out. And she builds. Very good. Another 8.

Syesha Mercado - Tobacco Row
Another girl with a powerful voice, but she had to be reserved in Hollywood because she lost it. She's one that I think has the potential to blow it out of the water. I think I got the title of the song right. I'm not sure if I like this for her though. There seem to be a few rough patches here and there. Overall, not bad though. I'm gonna go with a 7.

Carly Smithson
So, she had a record deal several years ago. That doesn't disqualify her? I mean, it doesn't matter to me, I just thought those were the rules. I don't recognize this song either. I do recognize that she's a little flat in a couple spots. I think she knows it too. She's able to pull herself back up though. Going with another 7 for her.

Overall I think the girls did a pretty good job. I think there's potential for a lot better once they get used to singing under this kind of pressure from week to week. My vote tonight goes to Alaina. To me, she was the best of the night. Tomorrow night, four of these people will be going home. My prediction for the chopping block? David Cook, Garrett Haley, Amy Davis, and maybe Joanne Borgella. I could be way off on these. I don't get good with my predictions 'til the top 12. Come back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment