Saturday, February 23, 2008

Chance

For the last few weeks I've been issued challenges by the oldest Greene boy to play him at Monopoly. His claim was that he had never been beaten before. Even Nicole backed this up. Apparently he had never met an opponent that could outmatch him at the classic board game. Until tonight.

This afternoon he brought it up one more time. I was hesitant, but the Nicole said I was afraid to play him. Not one to back down from a challenge, I gave in. So we played.

Everyone has their own strategies. Some people like to buy up the railroads. Some hold out for Boardwalk and Park Place. Personally, I just like to buy anything and everything I can get my hands on. He mocked my particular strategy. Especially after I had purchased about ten properties and had very little money left.

But the buying of properties paid off. See, I acquired a few monopolies. Sure, he had Baltic and Mediterranean... with hotels... but I had the red spaces. I think I read somewhere that, statistically, these are the spaces that are hit the most. This makes it the most valuable monopoly on the board. And eventually, this was his downfall. Good ol' Illinois Avenue with a hotel.

Do I feel bad after beating a ten-year-old? Not at all. I'm just glad the game didn't last four days. I've done that before too. Now that's a long game.

No comments:

Post a Comment