Monday, February 18, 2008

Presidents' Day

Happy Presidents' Day everyone! How did you spend this most special of days? Were you close to your loved ones this holiday weekend? Big meal with friends and family? Or, do you, like me, just feel that this is another annoying Hallmark holiday?

Today was my mother's birthday. I called around noon to let her know I was thinking of her. I interrupted her while she was at work. At work! On Presidents' Day! I thought the presidents of the United States sacrificed all their time and energy so that the common man, like the banker and the postal worker, wouldn't have to work on the third Monday in February.

We should really take this time to reflect on the former presidents. And should we merely reflect on the U.S. presidents? Should we not also celebrate captains of industry? What about the president of the Coca-Cola Company? Or how about the president of the local high school's Student Government Association?

So to all of you out there who have held the title of "president," we salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment