Friday, February 08, 2008

Variations

Back in college I was in an ensemble choir that performed under the name Variations. This group was made up of some of most vocally talented people I've ever had the honor of knowing. My last couple years in Variations, we recorded CDs of the music we had performed during the school year.

Tonight, as I drove home from Wake Forest, I was feeling nostalgic and decided to listen to the CD from my senior year. Well, my first senior year. It was the year of "The Testament of Freedom" and "Prayers From the Ark." As I drove, I sang along with songs that I memorized six and seven years ago. I was surprised at just how much I remembered.

I was even more surprised by just how depleted my lung capacity has become. Back in the day, I was able to hold out those high notes all day long. Tonight, I learned that I can't do that anymore. Sure, I can still hit those high notes, but don't expect me to hold them out more than eight beats. Back then, I was singing every day, stretching myself to the limits. Now I sing in the car... occasionally... and in choir... occasionally.

I kind of miss singing everyday. I definitely miss singing with my Variations friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment